Monday, November 4, 2013

48

“There will come a time when you believe everything is finished; 
that will be the beginning.” - Louis L'Amour 



Today is my 48th birthday. I won’t be celebrating at a trendy restaurant this evening (okay, I did that on Saturday night. Lafayette. Fabulous.)  Nor will I be sitting at home compulsively refreshing my Facebook page looking for birthday “notifications.” Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  Instead, I will be marking this non-milestone birthday at the inaugural meeting of “Never Too Late: Bar and Bat Mitzvah for Grown-Ups,” an intensive two-year course for Jewish adults who, for various reasons, missed out on this coming-of-age event  I have a pretty good excuse; I was Catholic when I was 13.   But, as the class description says, “committing to Jewish life can be affirmed and celebrated at any point.”  So 18 years after my conversion to Judaism, I am coming of [middle] age.
I look forward to sharing my experiences here as I embark on this next leg of my spiritual journey.  Stay tuned...













No comments:

Post a Comment