Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Too Jewish?


“Do you really have to be so Jewish?”


Although he said it with a wink and a hug, my husband had a point. It was after 10pm on a Monday night - my birthday, no less - and I had just come home from the first of my two-year, 3-hour adult bat mitzvah classes. The previous weekend, I’d spent the better part of a sunny Sunday at a mini Hebrew marathon; on Tuesday evenings, I attend a Shabbat discussion group led by our Rabbi and every other Wednesday I meet with four women and a different Rabbi for a Torah study group. I try to light candles on (most) Friday nights; I’ve been organizing our upcoming Hanukkah festivities and I'm making plans to visit a synagogue and Jewish museum during our upcoming visit to Cape Town. And I can't wait to go back to Israel!

When we were dating, my not being Jewish was almost a deal breaker for us.  Now, twenty years later, I'm too Jewish. Oh the irony...


No comments:

Post a Comment